Recipe by Shock55
If you're looking for a great tasing low sodium rice side dish recipe, this is it. This is pretty mild, so adjust the seasonings if you're looking for something a little more spicy.
Top Review by Susie D
I liked the smokey flavor in this from the cumin and appreciated the use of low sodium products. In that vein, I opted to not add the specified 1/2 t of salt. I found the can of mixed veggies an odd addition. They cooked into the rice & weren't obtrusive, but I think next time I will use fresh onions, celery, & peppers instead. I did like the robust flavor from all of the spices & the dish paired well with mild flavored enchiladas. Made for Spring 2012 Pick A Chef.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth (I use Herbox Sodium Free)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added vegetables
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stock pot heat oil till hot.
- Add uncooked rice and saute until the rice looks clear (usually 2 - 3 minutes).
- Add seasonings, chicken broth, diced tomatoes and mixed vegetables and turn heat up to high. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low. Cook covered for 20 minutes.