Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got the original recipe from Once a Month Cooking but have added several changes...like burger as well as Sausage....Italian seasonings....more tomatoes and sauce ect. My family loves this sauce and they always come back for more. keep in mind that this recipe makes quit a bit of sauce. I make a big batch and then freeze the extra.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 lb hamburger (80/20 or leaner is better)
- 2 onions, of average size finely chopped
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic (5 cloves)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 2 2⁄3 cups water
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 4 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet put the chopped onion, garlic, sausage and burger. Cook until brown stirring often.
- Drain fat.
- Put beef/sausage mixture as well as all remaining ingredients into a LARGE stock pot or Crockpot.
- Cook on low for several hours stirring occasionally.
- Fish out the bay leaves. Eat what you want that day on Spaghetti and store the rest in single use sized freezer bags in the freezer for future use.
- I use this sauce for spaghetti, lasagna, on pizza's etc.