Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I saw this on PBS with Rick Bayless. He is a wonderful chef that cooks Mexican food and really knows his stuff. This is by far the BEST salsa I have ever had. The roasted flavor of the veggies is amazing! You could even use flavored wood chips in the grill to add more flavor. Anyway, I hope you try it--it is truly wonderful!
- On a grill bank all the coals to one side and start as usual.
- When coals are red, add the veggies to a big bowl with about 1 tbs of oil and coat.
- Put them on the grill next to the coals not directly over them.
- The tomatoes will be done first.
- When their skins split, take them off the grill.
- The onions will brown on each side and remove them.
- You want the skin on the peppers to blister but not burn.
- Let all the veggies cool down in the fridge for about one hour.
- Thinly slice onions.
- Remove the seeds from the peppers first.
- Chop the peppers and the tomatoes.
- Mince the garlic and add to the veggies.
- Add as much lime juice as you like and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir together all ingredients.
- Put in fridge until cooled and the flavors can blend.