Trick or Treat supper baked in a pumpkin. It is amazing how much less candy is gobbled up en route home on Halloween night if the kids start out with tummies happily full of nutritious food. To capture goblins attention before they go on their appointed rounds, serve Great Pumpkin Meatloaf. This fascinating jack-o'-lantern with a meatloaf inside will intrigue goblins, both young and old. Cut the jack-o'-lanterns in wedges and serve as a meat and vegetable in one. To accentuate the bland flavor of the pumpkin, the inside is spread with honey mustard before filling. The meatloaf mixture, enhanced with the zesty flavor of Worcestershire sauce is baked right inside the pumpkin. Complete this nourishing supper with oven roasted potatoes, celery sticks, cucumber slices, whole wheat dinner rolls and milk, plus a crispy apple for desert. This is not an "adult" dinner, but a pleasurable and fun meal for all that are young at heart. Almost any meatloaf recipe can be cooked in a pumpkin, so feel free to experiment. It's all about the presentation! Cooking times may vary depending on the size of the pumpkin and the meatloaf recipe used. (WW 6 points)
- Cut top from pumpkin in a zig zag design.
- Remove seeds and stringy insides.
- Place pumpkin in a baking pan; add about 1 inch of hot water.
- Cover pumpkin and pan with foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for 45 minutes. (Or microwave for about 14 minutes.).
- Season inside of pumpkin with salt and pepper; brush with honey mustard (or yellow mustard and sprinkle with brown sugar).
- Combine egg, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, ground beef and bread crumbs; mix well.
- Spoon into pumpkin shell, packing down lightly.
- Return to oven and bake, uncovered, 45 to 60 minutes, until the pumpkin is tender and the meatloaf is cooked. (The internal temperature should reach 160 degrees F.).
- You may cook the "lid" of the pumpkin along with the meatloaf, however, watch it and remove when it is cooked and still looks attractive.
- Remove and let rest for 5 -10 minutes.
- Be creative with garnishes.
- Cut into 6 wedges to serve.