Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are big delicious cookies. It's also wholesome because it's made with pumpkin. The kids will love making up different faces on each cookie. Make these cookies with your favorite goblins, and they'll gobble them up before you can say BOOO!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup quick oats or 1 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- assorted color icing or peanut butter, for decorating
- assorted decorative candies, for decorating (gumdrops, candy corn, M & M's)
- raisins, for decorating
- nuts, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Cream butter and gradually add sugar beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Alternate additions of dry ingredients and pumpkin, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- For each cookie, drop ¼ cup dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet and spread into pumpkin shape using a thin metal spatula.
- Add a bit more dough to form stem.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until cookies are firm and lightly butter to affix assorted candies, raisins and nuts mixing them up to make different faces.
These are great pumpkin cookies!! I used a pumpkin cookie cutter to help me form them into pumpkins otherwise I'm pretty sure mine would have turned out looking like little blobs ;) I used cooking spray to keep the cookies from sticking to the cutter. The only changes I made were to minus the chocolate chips and use an entire can of pumpkin (15 oz.)--they were a little sticky, but they baked up great!!
Been baking these cookies since 1984. Awesome cookie!!!
Great Pumpkin Cookie! My family loves these cookies. I have used this recipe for years. Thanks for posting.