Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
There are quite a few recipes out there for pumpkin bread but this is the one I have used for over 15 years. It is just a little bit different from all the others, but quite moist and full of spicey flavor. I love it just plain but you can dress it up for guests - slice bread thinly, spread with a mixture of softened cream cheese & orange mrmalade, then put another thin slice on top. Cut each "sandwich" in half and serve. Very delicious! I also use this recipe to make "mini" loaves for gift baskets. For small loaf pans, fill each about 2/3 full before baking and adjust your baking time.
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray; 2 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
- Blend together oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add pumpkin and mix until smooth.
- Mix dry ingredients together, in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and combine until incorporated.
- Add chopped nuts last (if using).
- Divide mixture between the two loaf pans.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour or until loaves test done.
Susie,I made this for my gift treats at Christmas,and got rave reviews on it.I make nut breads every year,and this is the one I got the most complements on this year.Thanks so much,Darlene