Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From "A Little Taste of Texas Cookbook". I always want to make sure my cakes are moist and my aunt taught me to add a dollop of mayonnaise to any and all cake batter. I add it to this cake too. Try it if you like, but it is not necessary and not in the original recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Cream together Crisco, butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour and baking powder in separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
- Add rum and coconut extracts.
- Pour into a large greased and floured bundt pan and place pan on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 300° for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. Test with toothpick for doneness.
- Right before cake should be done, bring water and sugar to rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and add almond extract.
- While cake is still in pan, pour the glaze over cake and let stand about 30 minutes before removing from pan.
Delightful flavor - this is a MUST for pound cake lovers. We ate part and sent the rest to the neighbors - who thanked me profusely and asked for the recipe! Apparently it's a hit, Juenessa! Thanks for posting!