Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is so easy. My mom used to make a big batch of this (she would doupble the recipe) and it would last for a couple of days. My whole family loved it. Now I make it for my own family.
- 1 (5 lb) bag red potatoes
- 1 lb kielbasa or 1 lb Polish sausage
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 (16 ounce) package Velveeta cheese
- 1 quart milk, I suggest nothing lighter than 2%
- 3 tablespoons chives
- Cube Velveeta and meat into bite size pieces, place to the side.
- Peel and quarter potatoes.
- Cut onion into pieces no larger than a quarter.
- Boil potatoes and onions until the potatoes are soft.
- Pour 1/2 of the water in the potatoes out.
- Pour milk into pan, add cheese and meat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chives and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- This soup tastes better the longer it stands and is super the day after it cooks.
- Be careful as it has a tendency to scorch if you cook it to fast.
First let me say prep time is longer than 10 min. Peeling that many potatoes takes some time.The soup was some what bland It needs salt and pepper and about 1/3 more cheese. The soup is good and I will make it again, with some changes. Thanks for the recipe.Made for Spring 2013 PAC