Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped and seeded
- 2 cans great northern beans
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add carrot to mixture and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
- Serve with italian or sourdough bread slices.
I absolutely love this soup! The only change I made was to substitute one stalk of celery for the celery flakes. I also used homemade vegetable stock. This one is a keeper.
I don't know if I can rate this soup since I made lots of changes, but it was really very delicious. Instead of celery flakes, I tossed in a minced stalk of fresh celery. Very nice. I didn't have kalamata olives and just used the boring black olives, and I think the kalamatas would have been better. I also used a fresh tomato, peeled and chopped, instead of tomato paste. I also only had red wine, and not white, which was okay. Even with all the changes it was quite yummy. Many thanks.
Very good soup. Hearty. We put the olives on the side and added them at the table- to give the kids an option.