Recipe by Your Gourmet Girlfriend
Take the labor out of homemade potato pancakes. No one will notice the difference! These are easy and delicious. Prep time does not include thawing.
- 30 ounces frozen potatoes (country style shredded potatoes, only potatoes nothing else, 0 fat)
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour potatoes into large bowl and thaw about 1 hour.
- While still very cold add onion and egg's, stir in eggs until blended.
- Stir in baking powder, flour and salt.
- Heat some oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Shape 1/2 cup in hand and place in oil, pack and shape gently with spatula.
- Cook 15 minutes on each side. I like to cook mine slowly to ensure potatoes are cooked and evenly browned. The less they are moved the less they tend to fall apart. Check them gently every 5 minutes When browned evenly carefully flip them, repack with spatula and cook 15 minutes more.
- Drain on paper towel 1 minute.
- Transfer to warm serving dish (I like to keep mine in the oven set at 200°F).
- Do several at a time, don't overcrowd, you will need to do them in batches.
- Serve with sour cream, applesauce or gravy.