Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Adapted with mushroomy love from my well-thumbed copy of Vegan Vittles. This is terrific over a meal of potatoes and roasted veggies!
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour, bran sifted out (or ww pastry flour)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tamari
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- black pepper, to taste
- Toast the flour on low heat till fragrant, stirring often (be patient, this does take a few minutes, but don't turn on high heat and burn it!).
- Remove from heat and whisk in the water, tamari, and garlic granules. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium, stirring often.
- When partly thickened, add tahini and mix well. Stir in the mushrooms. Reduce heat, and let the gravy simmer covered for five minutes or so, till the mushrooms are softened.
- Season with pepper and serve!
This gravy is terrific! And it was easy to make. I served it with Lentil-Walnut Loaf With Gravy (instead of that recipe's gravy) and mashed potatoes. I think the only improvement to be made would be to *double* the recipe. Really delicious! Reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #15.