Recipe by DeSouter
After tasting a really bland version of this soup made by a friend's dad, I set out to find or make up a tasty version. Here is the result. You won't be disappointed.
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml canola oil
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 354.88 ml chopped onions
- 1.23 ml nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
- 236.59 ml chopped carrot
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 2 clove minced garlic
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 680.38 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2838.0 ml chicken broth (2 large cans with any fat spooned off the top)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, melt the butter.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté until tender, but not browned.
- Add the mushrooms.
- Cook just until soft.
- Add the broth, seasonings and barley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the barley is tender.
- The soup can be thinned with additional broth if it becomes too thick.