Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is from my beloved HyVee cookbook. Submitted by Virginia Upah. The original recipe called for green peppers and onions. My husband and I are allergic to them but feel free to add them!
- 2 lbs chuck roast or 2 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon McCormick broiled steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon beef base, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 lb carrot, chopped
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 (20 ounce) can tomatoes
- Cut roast into bite sized pieces.
- Do not brown meat.
- Place all ingredients in order given, in a large Dutch oven style kettle.
- Cover and Bake at 250* for 5 hours.
- Uncover last hour if too moist.
- Serve with Warm rolls.