Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Great homemade yeast rolls or bread. It's even good for cinammon rolls. Very easy and turns out great every time. This is an old, old family recipe.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast, dissolved in
- 1⁄2 cup very warm water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lard (or Crisco)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 6 cups bread flour or 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Put Crisco, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour in boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- Add cold water.
- Pour in yeast and stir in 6 cups flour until well mixed. (I use my KitchenAid mixer with the bread hook--very easy.)
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead 5 minutes. Divide for 2 loaves of bread or roll out and cut for rolls.