Recipe by TMoney
Another from great great aunt Jessies files. This one is from the Courier Journal, February 20, 1949. It is served with "Braised City Chicken". I actually made this myself and it is very sweet with just a hint of onion essence. Don't be scared off by onions! It is a fantastic side dish!
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and parboil onions until just underdone.
- If you like even a milder oniony flavor then bequeathed to them by nature, change the water about twice during their parboiling period (I didn't find this necessary at all).
- Drain, and when cool enough to handle cut in halves.
- Just before they are served, sprinkle sugar very lightly over the cut side.
- Season with salt and pepper and either dot of brush lightly with melted butter.
- Place under broiler until they're nicely browned on top, adding more butter if necessary.