Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
On vacation in Gatlinburg, I purchased an old timey cookbook called "A Taste Of The Past" by Phyllis Connor. Each recipe has notes about the family history of the recipe. This one by Jean Nixon sounds like the one my father used to use. Times are a guess-timate.
- 6 medium turnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 red pepper pod (optional)
- Place turnips in large pot and cover with water.
- Simmer until tender.
- Drain off water.
- Add other ingredients.
- Mash with fork until lumpy, leaving consistency neither soupy or dry.