Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe that has been in our family for years! My great grandmother used to make it for my grandfather, then passed it along to my grandmother when they got married. Now my grandmother makes it for every gathering, even though it is a touch time consuming.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup sliced maraschino cherry
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla and fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans. Bake at 325 for 25 minutes or done. Cool 10 minutes then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, and butter in a 2 quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constant until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Cool completely.
- Combine first 5 frosting ingredients in double broiler; beat 30 seconds at low speed with mixer or until blended.
- Place over boiling water, beating constantly on high for about 8 minutes or until peaks form.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. beat an additional 1 minute or until thick enough to spread.
- Build the cake using the filling in between each layer. There is enough frosting to cover the top and sides of this 3 layer cake.