Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My Great Grandma used to make this for us on those cold winter days. Just tastes awesome. Not to mention easy to make.
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 large potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh green beans
- In medium frying pan cook bacon till almost fully cooked. Add chopped onion, celery finish cooking till onion becomes translucent and a little brown around edges. Transfer to paper towel to let drain off excess grease.
- Boil potatoes till almost cooked though (still a little firm).
- In large soup pot melt butter, add flower to make roux. (Note: remove from heat so not to burn roux). Add milk put back on heat. Stirring constantly till milk thickens.
- Chop bacon into small pieces.
- Add to soup pot bacon, onion, potatoes celery, and beans.
- Simmer 10 minutes.