Recipe by jnkmiles
This is my Grandpa's mother's recipe for Banana Bread. It is a great way to use up rotten bananas!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup mashed banana (Approx. 4)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sour milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs, lemon juice, and mashed bananas. Beat well.
- Add sour milk.
- Sift flour with salt and baking powder and slowly add to mixture. Mix well.
- Add chopped nuts.
- Dissolve the baking soda in hot water and pour into the mixture. Stir.
- Pour into a well-greased dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake for 4 minutes.
- Decrease the oven temperature to 350 degreed and bake until done.