Recipe by Voyager 1977
This recipe comes from my Great Great Grandma Lillian Hallock. She'd make these whenever she was expecting a visit from us. Whenever we make it nowadays we have to make 2 batches, as the first one gets eaten in dough form while it still frozen. Preparation Time includes cooling time.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour and brown sugar.
- Add oatmeal and stir.
- Melt butter and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix baking soda into boiling water.
- Add baking soda and water to other ingredients and stir well.
- Place batter into aluminum foil-lined loaf pan and place in freezer for several hours.
- Slice and bake at 375°F for 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
- P.S. Don't let anyone get into the cookie dough for a taste test while it sets in the freezer, as the dough is SO VERY GOOD. Every one will want to eat it before before it makes it into the oven.