Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This has been requested frequently enough that I will finally submit it. This is known as Great Grammy's mac & cheese thanks to my children. It's my grandmother's recipe. I spent a day watching very carefully & making notes. ;) I don't always bake it. Sometimes I just pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni & start eating! The dish I bake this in is a Corningware Cornflower 3 quart dish - it is square with high sides vs. rectangular like a smaller 9x13x2.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, extra sharp, white, cubed
- 4 slices American cheese, white
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated, maybe more
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease casserole dish. Cook macaroni in boiling, well salted water until al dente. Drain.
- Melt butter in top of double boiler. Add salt, ground mustard & flour, whick until smooth. Whisk in milk until smooth. Heat until thickened. *I will take the top of the double boiler & put it on direct heat BUT keep it low & do not stop stirring or it will burn & be ruined!*.
- Add cheese & whisk until melted.
- Put 1/2 cooked macaroni in casserole. Pour about 1/3 cheese sauce over macaroni. Stir well. Lay slices of American cheese over this. (4 slices fit my dish perfectly.) Add rest of macaroni & sauce. Stir carefully. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese to cover & some pepper to taste.
- Bake 1 hour until top is browned & bubbly.
Another easy mac&cheese recipe to make. As the macaroni was draining, I stirred up the sauce right on top of the burner. Only had mild cheddar, but will try the sharp next time I make this. Made for My-3-Chefs June 2012
This is definitely an old-fashioned mac and cheese recipe. Not as creamy as the newer versions, but very tasty and very comforting. I think this recipe has the most cheese I have ever used in a mac and cheese recipe. Easy to make and brings back some wonderful memories. Made for June 2012 Aus/NZ Swap.