1/1 Photo of Great Grammy's Macaroni & Cheese
1 hr 30 mins
This has been requested frequently enough that I will finally submit it. This is known as Great Grammy's mac & cheese thanks to my children. It's my grandmother's recipe. I spent a day watching very carefully & making notes. ;) I don't always bake it. Sometimes I just pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni & start eating! The dish I bake this in is a Corningware Cornflower 3 quart dish - it is square with high sides vs. rectangular like a smaller 9x13x2.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Grease casserole dish. Cook macaroni in boiling, well salted water until al dente. Drain.
- 2Melt butter in top of double boiler. Add salt, ground mustard & flour, whick until smooth. Whisk in milk until smooth. Heat until thickened. *I will take the top of the double boiler & put it on direct heat BUT keep it low & do not stop stirring or it will burn & be ruined!*.
- 3Add cheese & whisk until melted.
- 4Put 1/2 cooked macaroni in casserole. Pour about 1/3 cheese sauce over macaroni. Stir well. Lay slices of American cheese over this. (4 slices fit my dish perfectly.) Add rest of macaroni & sauce. Stir carefully. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese to cover & some pepper to taste.
- 5Bake 1 hour until top is browned & bubbly.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Great Grammy's Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 440.5
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 52.0 mg
- Sodium 408.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 20.1 g