Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great-tasting, grainy muffin.
Make and share this Great Grains Oatmeal Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (whole wheat is preferred) or 2 cups white flour (whole wheat is preferred)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄2 cup other dried fruit (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Beat eggs in large mixing bowl.
- Add buttermilk, oil, brown sugar, salt, and oats.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda separately, then combine with egg mixture.
- Add fruit and nuts, if desired.
- Fill greased muffin tins 0.75 full and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes , or until golden.
- NOTE: Rolled oats may be substituted for steel cut oats.
This recipe was great. My husband thought they were just great, and takes them for breakfast. I added 1T. of cinnamon to the batter, 1/2 cup of coconut and 1/2 cup of wheat bran.
I made this recipe for my husband who was recently advised to go on a high-fiber diet. I substituted skim milk (& soured it with 2 tbsp vinegar), and added about 1/3 c wheat germ to the recipe. After filling the muffin papers, I sprinkled on some cinnamon sugar. Being a fairly picky eater, I wasn't sure he'd like them -- but he did!! I think the next time I make them I might add some cinnamon or nutmeg to the batter. And I might swap some applesauce for some of the oil. These are yummy!