Recipe by PaulaG
I haven't actually tried this; but it actually looked and sounded good. If I don't post it, I'll loose it! Burger without the meat. The recipe comes from Light and Tasty February/March 2002.
Top Review by ladypit
For taste this would get a 5+, but it was so incredibly frustrating to cook that dh and I decided a 4 was the best bet. In terms of subs I used vegan mozzarela and veggie cheddar (because it is what I had). My salt free seasoning was southwestern in nature, and I used dried parsley as it was all I had. I also used egg white instead of egg sub, just measuring it into a 1/4 cup measure. I actually went over a 1/4 cup by a tiny bit. I mixed everything together and it looked just fine and smelled lovely. But now the hard part began. Because even with the little more egg, this did not stick together at all. My rice/bulgur mixture was cold. Everything was done to specifications. But I could not get it to hold together in burger form. I started by attempting to cook these on my nonstick griddle which was difficult. So I switched to a pan and added the oil thinking maybe it needed the oil to bind it. But that was worse. So I went back to the griddle and just worked with them carefully. They cooked over but were very delicate. Fabulous flavor and texture, but difficult to work with. I still have a bowl of it in my fridge and I'm thinking of just sauteeing it all up an rolling it in whole wheat tortillas!
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 12 hamburger buns
- lettuce leaf
- tomatoes, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and cool completely, refrigerate.
- Combine the mushrooms, oats, mozzarella, cheese cheddar cheese and onion.
- In a food processor, process the cottage cheese and egg substitute until smooth.
- Add mushroom mixture, parsley, salt, basil, celery seed and chilled rice mixture.
- Using 1/2 cup of mixture, shape into 12 patties.
- In a non-stick skillet, cook four patties in 1 teaspoon of oil for 5 minutes on each side or until browned and crisp.
- Repeat with remaining patties and oil.
- Serve on hamburger rolls with lettuce and tomato slices.
- Please note the preparation time includes cooking and cooling rice.
- The cooking time is for the burgers only.