Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This is a taste of home recipe that I've adapted to my tastes. I love gnocchi but I've had problems finding a good recipe. Here goes, I hope you like this as much as I do.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- water, to cover
- 1 cup flour
- 4 quarts water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- Peel, quarter and rinse potatoes.
- Put in a large saucepan with enough water to cover.
- Boil 25 minutes or until soft enough to mash.
- Drain off liquid and mash with a potato ricer.
- Keep potatos in the saucepan and add flour.
- Beat egg, salt and garlic powder, add to potato and flour mixture.
- Beat well.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead about 10-12 times.
- Divide dough into quarters.
- Roll each quarter into ropes, cut into 3/4 inch pieces and roll each piece with a floured fork. Pieces should resemble little tubes with indentions of the tines. They look really professional when boiled.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil.
- Add gnocchi pieces in small batches. When they're done, they will float to the top.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add butter to gnocchi.
- If desired, add parmesan cheese to the gnocchi.