Recipe by Sharon123
I collect veggie burger recipes and this is a little different from the others I have. Feel free to use other veggies. if you like! These can be frozen. Serving suggestions: Serve with grilled onions, grilled portabella mushroom slices, and mixed greens, or, burger style with ketchup
Top Review by txgirl15
this was the first veggie burger recipe i tried and they were delicious! even my very picky brothers though they were good :) we used everything the recipe calls for plus some ground cumin, garlic salt and a little bit of Worcestershire sauce to taste. served on toasted buns with lettuce and tomato and mozzarella cheese melted on top of the patty! yum! cant wait to make them again.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or veg. oil)
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coarse bulgur
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces frozen peas and carrots (optional)
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- taco seasoning (or seasoning of your choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put olive oil in a ten-inch non stick frying pan and heat.
- Put onions and mushrooms into pan and sauté for about 5 minutes,just until cooked slightly.
- Pour onions and mushrooms into a 3-quart sauce pot with the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Add bulgur, chickpeas, and frozen vegetables, stir until combined.
- Turn off heat, cover and let stand 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove pot from heat.
- Using a potato masher or spoon back, mash ingredients together making sure all chickpeas get smashed.
- At this point you may add a little seasoning of your choice (I use 1 tbs taco seasoning).
- Form into 8 burger patties.
- Lightly coat the 10-inch non stick pan with cooking spray (or a few more tbs of the olive oil) and turn heat to medium.
- Place all burgers in pan when hot and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until heated through and golden.
- Optional: Fold in 1/4 cup grated mozzarella (or cheese of your choice) to mashed bulgur mixture before forming into burgers.
- To freeze: Flash freeze on a cookie sheet uncooked until solid.
- To heat: Thaw in the refrigerator then cook per directions.