Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I learned this recipe in seventh grade Home Economics, and it has been useful ever since!
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup nuts (optional)
- Mix shortening and both sugars with electric mixer.
- Add vanilla extract and egg. Mix well.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips (I like the mini chips) and nuts.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes until golden around edges.
- If you want a higher yield, simply double the ingredients and follow the steps.