Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This yummy soup is a full meal in a bowl. A nice salad and you're all set!
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground chuck or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 6 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 6 cups water
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 3 -4 russet potatoes, scrubbed and grated
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 -4 carrots, scrubbed and grated
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese
- taco chips
- In a 6 quart heavy bottomed pot, fry onion and salt until soft, add garlic and fry 30 seconds.
- Add meat and sprinkle with salt chili powder and taco seasoning. Fry only til faintly pink.
- Add onion soup mix, water, tomatoes, sugar, italian seasoning thyme and barley.
- Add potatoes, celery, carrots.
- Simmer 40 minutes.
- Add tomato soup and cheese, stir to blend. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with taco chips instead of crackers. My kids will crush them and add the chips to the soup.
- This could easily be made into a spicy version with hot pepper flakes or cayenne added to the frying meat mixture. Sometimes I also will add kernel corn at the end, either frozen or canned.