1/2 Photos of Great Basic Tomato Sauce
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g ripe tomatoes, chopped (peeled or unpeeled as you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (more if you like it)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil (add more if you are a basil fan as I am)
- chili powder (optional)
- minced meat (optional)
- 1If I want to use this as a the basis for a meat sauce or chilli sauce I don't usually bother to peel the tomatoes, when I want a silky smooth sauce that runs beautifully I do peel them.
- 2You choose Peel tomatoes by covering with boiling water in a bowl for 5 minutes if you want the"smooth" recipe.
- 3Chop tomotoes into evenly sized pieces.
- 4Heat olive oil and sauté garlic and onion until soft.
- 5Add tomatoes, tomato pureé, Basil, salt and pepper.
- 6Simmer gently got 30-40 until it reduces a little.
- 7Serve as is, or put in a blender until smooth.
- 8For Chilli sauce, add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (to your preference) or fresh chillies.
- 9Adding browned minced meat makes a nice easy sauce for over pasta.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Great Basic Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.6
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 1.3 g