Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 450 g ripe tomatoes, chopped (peeled or unpeeled as you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (more if you like it)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil (add more if you are a basil fan as I am)
- chili powder (optional)
- minced meat (optional)
- If I want to use this as a the basis for a meat sauce or chilli sauce I don't usually bother to peel the tomatoes, when I want a silky smooth sauce that runs beautifully I do peel them.
- You choose Peel tomatoes by covering with boiling water in a bowl for 5 minutes if you want the"smooth" recipe.
- Chop tomotoes into evenly sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil and sauté garlic and onion until soft.
- Add tomatoes, tomato pureé, Basil, salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently got 30-40 until it reduces a little.
- Serve as is, or put in a blender until smooth.
- For Chilli sauce, add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (to your preference) or fresh chillies.
- Adding browned minced meat makes a nice easy sauce for over pasta.
SO quick, EASY to do! Added more garlic as is personal taste too! Added black olives as had on hand, TRUE! DEFINATELY will incorporate this in other dishes...THANKS from you know who!
This is a great basic pasta sauce recipe, which can be used as a base for a chunky vege or meat ragu etc. I used this when making cannelloni tonight & it was great. I doubled the recipe, used 3 cloves of garlic & 6T of basil. The only thing I would say is that it might need a little sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, again this is entirely own preference. Thanks Andria.