1 hr 30 mins
pami in Coquitlam,BC's Note:
I created this dish one afternoon and was amazed how delicious it turned out. My family told me it was better than any pasta they have ever had at a restaurant and said I must make it again. I knew it was a keeper. Hope you enjoy as much as we did!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 26 ounces tomato sauce with garlic, roasted (Ragu)
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (drain liquid)
- 1 large tomato
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 large mushrooms
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 zucchini
- 1 white onion (half if large onion)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili, flaked
- 12 ounces dry penne pasta
- 2 -3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1With casings removed break down sausage links into small pieces until fully cooked. (Remove from pan and set aside).
- 2In large sauce pan add cut up celery, white onion, zucchini and cook for about 2 minutes until soft.
- 3Add cut up mushrooms, tomato and 2 minced garlic cloves.
- 4Add jar of tomato sauce, drained can of diced tomatoes, oregano, fresh parsley, pepper,salt, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes.
- 5Simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- 6Cook penne approximately 13 minutes or until cooked.
- 7Spray oven 13x9-inch baking dish with Pam or oil.
- 8Add pasta to sauce and pour into greased pan.
- 9Cover pasta with cheese mixture (I used the whole bag) and then cover dish with foil making sure foil doesn't touch the cheese).
- 10Bake for 10 minutes with foil then remove and broil until cheese stars to slightly brown.
- 11Remove and let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Great Baked Penne Pasta W/ Italian Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.9
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 1235.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 20.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomato sauce with garlic