Recipe by pami in Coquitlam,BC
I created this dish one afternoon and was amazed how delicious it turned out. My family told me it was better than any pasta they have ever had at a restaurant and said I must make it again. I knew it was a keeper. Hope you enjoy as much as we did!
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 26 ounces tomato sauce with garlic, roasted (Ragu)
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (drain liquid)
- 1 large tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 large mushrooms
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 zucchini
- 1 white onion (half if large onion)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili, flaked
- 12 ounces dry penne pasta
- 2 -3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- With casings removed break down sausage links into small pieces until fully cooked. (Remove from pan and set aside).
- In large sauce pan add cut up celery, white onion, zucchini and cook for about 2 minutes until soft.
- Add cut up mushrooms, tomato and 2 minced garlic cloves.
- Add jar of tomato sauce, drained can of diced tomatoes, oregano, fresh parsley, pepper,salt, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes.
- Simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Cook penne approximately 13 minutes or until cooked.
- Spray oven 13x9-inch baking dish with Pam or oil.
- Add pasta to sauce and pour into greased pan.
- Cover pasta with cheese mixture (I used the whole bag) and then cover dish with foil making sure foil doesn't touch the cheese).
- Bake for 10 minutes with foil then remove and broil until cheese stars to slightly brown.
- Remove and let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!