Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an Old German recipe my Great-Aunt use to make. Every one in the family loved it.
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 quart water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- paprika (for garnish)
- Cook potatoes, onions, celery and carrots in the water until tender.
- Meanwhile, in other pan melt butter and blend in flour.
- Gradually add milk and cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add to soup.
- Add evaporated milk.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish bowls with paprika.
I really liked this soup. I've made it several times now. The first time I put some bacon in it and realized it really didn't need it. The second time it was a tad bland so I just sprinkled salt on it. Thanks for posting this recipe it is a new favorite! Oh, I used 4 tbsp flour. This soup has always come out nice a creamy/thick for me.
This recipe was just ok for me. I am used to a creamy, mashed potato type of potato soup. This was more runny than I am used to...and I prefer sour cream and half & half...this recipe calls for evap. milk which was different. It was good, but not great for me...
This is a great soup, I didn't have any for the next day. Everyone loved it !! I used 4 T. of flour and plan to add bacon & muchrooms next time. You can add almost anything to this soup. Enjoy!