1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is another treasured family recipe. These cookies are moist and light with a hint of nutmeg. Please note in the ingredients the amount of flour may be a bit off. You may need to use less or more than indicated. I haven't made these in a very long time, and my family doesn't always include measurements in recipes. Aunt Audrita noted on the recipe card "enough flour as needed to roll out properly". If anyone figures out (before I do) exactly how much that is, please write me a note!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar, shortening, sour cream and eggs.
- 3Then stir into mixture the baking soda, nutmeg, vanilla, salt and cream of tartar. Do not add flour just yet.
- 4Chill mixture 1-24 hours.
- 5Gradually add flour to chilled mixture until dough is stiff enough to roll for cut-out cookies.
- 6On a generously floured work surface, roll out dough a little at a time with a rolling pin dusted with flour until 1/2-inch thick.
- 7Use flour-dipped cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes. Place cut-outs onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, making sure to space cookies two inches apart.
- 8Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops of cookies are no longer shiny, and bottoms are lightly browned.
- 9Cool on a wire rack.
- 10Decorate with icing of your choice (optional) and store in an air-tight container.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Great Aunt Audrita's Sour Cream Cookies (Sugar Cookie Cut-Outs)
Serving Size: 1 (1102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.5
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 21.8 mg
- Sodium 212.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 1.9 g