Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is another treasured family recipe. These cookies are moist and light with a hint of nutmeg. Please note in the ingredients the amount of flour may be a bit off. You may need to use less or more than indicated. I haven't made these in a very long time, and my family doesn't always include measurements in recipes. Aunt Audrita noted on the recipe card "enough flour as needed to roll out properly". If anyone figures out (before I do) exactly how much that is, please write me a note!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 2 -3 cups flour (Amount may vary. Please see recipe description for explanation.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar, shortening, sour cream and eggs.
- Then stir into mixture the baking soda, nutmeg, vanilla, salt and cream of tartar. Do not add flour just yet.
- Chill mixture 1-24 hours.
- Gradually add flour to chilled mixture until dough is stiff enough to roll for cut-out cookies.
- On a generously floured work surface, roll out dough a little at a time with a rolling pin dusted with flour until 1/2-inch thick.
- Use flour-dipped cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes. Place cut-outs onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, making sure to space cookies two inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops of cookies are no longer shiny, and bottoms are lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Decorate with icing of your choice (optional) and store in an air-tight container.