Recipe by partysweets
This is the gravy I use when I make poutine. We all love it and it's so easy to make. It tastes great and you don't need meat drippings to make it! I found this on www.chocolatemoosey.com
Top Review by stadiumjoy
Made this tonight as a trial run for Christmas Eve. My husband and son loved it and gave the green light to serve for the holiday. I used beef broth and added a beef bouillon cube to the broth. Great to have a gravy that doesn't require the drippings. Lots of flavor and a keeper.
- 59.14 ml butter
- 177.44 ml onion, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml stock, any flavor (I use 1 can Campbells low sodium beef broth)
- 14.79 ml heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter.
- Cook the onion until lightly browned, roughly 5-8 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the stock and cook uncovered until thickened, roughly 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve while hot. (See Note).
- Note - You can make this ahead of time since no meat drippings are needed. It will gel up in the fridge, so when you are ready to serve, heat it back up in a sauce pan and whisk until smooth and hot. * If you have picky eaters who won’t eat onion chunks or if the onions get a little overdone, strain the onions before serving.