Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the gravy I use when I make poutine. We all love it and it's so easy to make. It tastes great and you don't need meat drippings to make it! I found this on www.chocolatemoosey.com
- 59.14 ml butter
- 177.44 ml onion, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml stock, any flavor (I use 1 can Campbells low sodium beef broth)
- 14.79 ml heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter.
- Cook the onion until lightly browned, roughly 5-8 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the stock and cook uncovered until thickened, roughly 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve while hot. (See Note).
- Note - You can make this ahead of time since no meat drippings are needed. It will gel up in the fridge, so when you are ready to serve, heat it back up in a sauce pan and whisk until smooth and hot. * If you have picky eaters who won’t eat onion chunks or if the onions get a little overdone, strain the onions before serving.