Recipe by cj2 Johnson
This is just a quick and easy down home recipe that my Grandmother made quite often and there was never any leftovers :<( I dont think that I know anyone who does not like this. We serve it over fresh hot biscuits or toast with home fries and slices of fresh tomatoes. Sometimes for supper and sometimes for breakfast. Its a southern thing! Also one reviewer said it was kind of bland, so to give it more flavor be sure and brown the sausage really well and cook the flour for a few minutes as well. If you do not brown the sausage and flour it it will have a tendency to be bland.
Top Review by jrivera
I have never had the courage to make gravy, my mother's was always terrible and so I always felt safe with the pre-made jar at the grocery store. But this has made me have faith. It was very easy and absolutely yummy. I was very proud of myself!
- 1 lb hamburger or 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt & pepper
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups milk (Depends on how thick or thin you like it whole, skim or 2% all work well)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillett add meat, salt& pepper.
- Brown really well and do not drain meat unless you are using hamburger and the amount of fat is quite a bit.
- Sprinkle flour over meat and stir well.
- Once the flour is mixed in well and browned really well, slowly add milk stirring constantly until nice and thick.