Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄3 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Place meat in a big bowl and create a well in the center of the meat.
- Fill the well with the bread crumbs and dampen them with the milk.
- Pour the egg over the bread crumbs and then add the next 8 ingredients.
- Mix together and form into 4 large oval patties, 3/4 –inch thick.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with the vegetable oil.
- Fry the meatloaf patties for 7 minutes on each side.
- Remove the patties to a platter; tent patties with foil and return pan to heat.
- Decrease heat to medium; add in butter, onions, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 2 minutes and then sprinkle onions with flour; cook the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the chicken stock and heavy cream.
- Bring the gravy to a bubble (if gravy is too thick, thin with additional stock).
- Taste and season with salt and pepper; stir in parsley and remove gravy from heat.
- Slice the meatloaf patties and smother with gravy.