Recipe by FeedMePlz
Source of Recipe http://www.ivu.org/recipes/holiday/vegan-j.html Pour this over veggie burgers for a healthier version.
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 slices yellow onions, chopped
- 8 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 4 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce (tamari)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 white mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional) or 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure the vegetable oil into a small saucepan.
- Cook the garlic and onion in it for about two minutes on medium or medium-low heat, until the onion is a bit tender and translucent.
- Add the flour, yeast, and tamari to make a paste.
- Add the water gradually, stirring constantly.
- Bring the gravy to a boil on medium to medium-high heat, stirring constantly -- the gravy has to boil for it to thicken.
- Add pepper.
- Stir in the sliced mushrooms, if desired.
- Add salt, if desired.
- If the gravy is too thin for your taste, add one or two tablespoons of flour or small amounts of cornstarch to thicken it and add.
- Use a wire whisk to eliminate lumps.