Prep 48 hrs
Cook 0 mins
- 2 lbs center cut salmon fillets (approximately 1 pound each, with skin left on)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup coarse salt
- 15 coarsely crushed white peppercorns
- 1 bunch dill
- mustard dill sauce (Mustard Dill Sauce II)
- Remove any small bones from the fillets with a pair of tweezers or needle-nosed pliers.
- Mix the sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with 1/3 the dill and rub half of the sugar-salt mixture into the first fillet, on both sides, and lay it skin side down on top of the dill.
- Cover with 1/3 of dill.
- Prepare the other salmon fillet in the same way, and cover with the remaining fillet, skin side up, with the remaining dill on top.
- Cover in plastic wrap, place a cutting board with some heavy weights on top and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Remove from plastic wrap and discard accumulated juices.
- Rewrap and refrigerate another 24- 48 hours.
- Scrape off the marinade and slice paper thin.
- Serve with Mustard Dill Sauce (Recipe #68168).
I can't believe I made my own lax! Too cool! Mine was slightly over"cooked" and a tad too salty after 3 days. Next time I will only let it marinate for 2 days. I served it up with some bagels, cream cheese with fresh dill, onions, tomatoes and capers. Hubby was in heaven.
A very good Grav Lax recipe. Made it as written and served it sliced with a honey and mustard dressing.