1/1 Photo of Gravlax (marinated salmon)
72 hrs 20 mins
André Grisell's Note:
This is the traditional Swedish gravlax recipe. Nowadays lots of varieties have evolved, but this is the original. It is traditionally served with the mustard sauce ('Gravlaxsas') and lemon. I recommend a German or Californian dry or semi-dry white wine to this. Because of the simplicity of the recipe, the salmon has to be of the best quality and freshness available.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs norwegian salmon fillets (of optimum quality)
- 1/4 cup salt (preferably sea salt)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns, slightly crushed in a mortar
- 1 bunch fresh dill, the stems
- 1For the salmon, remove all bones with a pair of tweezers, but leave the skin on.
- 3Mash the dill stems in a mortar with a little of the salt.
- 4Mix with the rest of the salt, the sugar and pepper.
- 5Save the dill leaves for the sauce.
- 6Cover the flesh side of the fillets with the mixture, and place the fillets flesh-to-flesh in a tray made of glass or stainless steel.
- 7Cover with plastic foil and put a heavy weight on top (e. g. the mortar or a brick).
- 8Keep refrigerated for 72 hours, turning the fillets every 12 hours.
- 9Do not discard the liquid that forms.
- 10Scrape off the spices and discard the liquid.
- 11The salmon will keep refrigerated for about a week.
- 12For the sauce, mix mustard, sugar and vinegar.
- 13Add the oil a little at the time (as for mayonnaise), constantly stirring.
- 14Just before serving, add lots of dill and salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Slice the salmon with a sharp, flexible knife in big, thin slices parallell to the skin.
- 16Arrange the ice-cold salmon on lettuce leaves with slices of lemon.
- 17Serve the sauce separately.
- 18Also serve toasted bread and butter.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gravlax (marinated salmon)
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.3
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 52.3 mg
- Sodium 3629.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 23.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: