Prep 20 mins
Cook 168 hrs
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 tablespoon lime zest, grated
- 4 tablespoons black pepper, freshly ground (4 turns)
- 3 tablespoons vodka
- 4 lbs salmon fillets, skin on, pin bones removed
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Rinse salmon under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine salt, dill, orange zest, lime zest, pepper and vodka in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Place the salmon, skin side down, on plastic wrap and pack the salt mixture over the entire cut side. Press mixture in firmly.
- wrap salmon completely and tightly in the plastic wrap and place skin side up on a baking sheet. Place something heavy, like a large iron skillet, on top to press salmon and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Remove salmon from refrigerator and brush off salt. Rinse salmon thoroughly under cold water, removing all the cure. Place salmon on clean plastic wrap and sprinkle on the sugar, pressing it in fi rmly.
- Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 1 week before serving.
- NOTES : Gravlax will keep 2 weeks, well wrapped and refrigerated.
Lox and Bagels, scrampled eggs with lox, or simply serve on dark bread or crackers sprinked with fresh lime makes a simple but very cool appetizer or before dinner coocktail. I live in Michigan, USA and a buddy of mine pulled about 9 huge Salmon out of a small stream in Traverse City I had to take advantage of such a great oppourtunity for fresh salmon, and free,this recipe takes some time and patient,but actually only a little work. Try IT with cream cheese/eggs , or saute 3 onions inbutter and olive oil, seson salt and pepper, beat up 12 eggs add to oven proof pan, 350 F oven until almost set and add chopped lox about 3/4 c to eggs and onion makes a great breakfast or dinner time meal serve with fresh bagels and 8 oz. slab cream cheese. Chef Brian 23 years cooking experience gratuate of Johnson and Wales Culinary 1987 Providence Rhode Island