Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Source: LCBO's Food and Drink Magazine. Gravlax is salmon that has been "cooked" in a marinade for three days. Originally a Scandinavian dish, it is a perfect substitute for smoked salmon and costs much less when you make it yourself. Its subtle, sensuous taste is perfect for appetizers and hors-d'oeuvre as well as an excellent first course served with a salad. Once the herbs are scraped off the salmon, it will keep in the marinade for 10 days. Be sure to use fresh dill when making this, not dried. Cooking time is time required to marinate salmon in refrigerator.
Top Review by IngridH
Yum! Buttery, creamy texture, with a nice kick from the pepper and coriander seed. Well worth the 48 hour wait. I enjoyed this with rye bread and cream cheese. What a treat! Made for ZWT6.
- 2 lbs salmon fillets (two 1 lb centre-cut fillets)
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn, coarsely crushed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1 large bunch fresh dill, trimmed
Directions See How It's Made
- Place salmon, skin-side-down, on a large sheet of plastic wrap.
- Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, mustard, salt and sugar and press evenly onto flesh side of both salmon fillets.
- Remove salmon from plastic and place one salmon fillet in dish large enough to hold it and sprinkle with 2 tbsp vodka.
- Lay dill sprigs in a heavy layer over it.
- Place second salmon fillet on top so that flesh sides meet.
- Spoon over remaining vodka.
- Cover with plastic wrap, place a tray inside the dish on top of salmon. Weigh down with tin cans or other heavy weights.
- Refrigerate for 2 days, turning over and spooning over juices every 12 hours.
- To serve, remove from the marinade, scrape away dill but leave on seasonings, slice thinly and sprinkle with extra crushed peppercorns, crushed coriander seeds and chopped dill, if desired.
- Serve on dill pancakes with the mustard sauce.
- Serves 6 as an Hors-d'oeuvre, with leftovers.