Recipe by *Pixie*
After baking this cake, you spoon hot buttermilk sauce all over it... Prep time includes wait time.
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups safflower oil (or other light vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups grated unpared gravenstein apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Generously spray a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and cinnamon and set aside.
- Combine 2 c sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla and orange juice in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer until well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture until blended.
- Fold in grated apple, walnuts and coconut.
- Put into tube pan and bake 1 1/2 hours, or until top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Combine 1 c sugar, butter 1/2 tsp baking soda and buttermilk in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Sauce should still be warm, but not boiling.
- Remove cake onto serving plate with raised edge.
- Puncture top of cake all over with skewer.
- Spoon hot sauce over warm cake several times until cake absorbs most of it.
- Let stand at least an hour before serving.