3 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 35 mins
After baking this cake, you spoon hot buttermilk sauce all over it... Prep time includes wait time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups safflower oil (or other light vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups grated unpared gravenstein apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Generously spray a 10-inch tube pan with cooking spray.
- 3Sift together flour, baking powder, and cinnamon and set aside.
- 4Combine 2 c sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla and orange juice in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer until well blended.
- 5Stir in the flour mixture until blended.
- 6Fold in grated apple, walnuts and coconut.
- 7Put into tube pan and bake 1 1/2 hours, or until top springs back when lightly pressed.
- 8Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- 9Combine 1 c sugar, butter 1/2 tsp baking soda and buttermilk in saucepan.
- 10Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to boil.
- 11Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- 12Sauce should still be warm, but not boiling.
- 13Remove cake onto serving plate with raised edge.
- 14Puncture top of cake all over with skewer.
- 15Spoon hot sauce over warm cake several times until cake absorbs most of it.
- 16Let stand at least an hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gravenstein Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 521.9
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 55.2 mg
- Sodium 159.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 40.5 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: