Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Gratineed onion soup is an ultimate comfort food. Butter-soft, caramelized onions are cooked down into a rich, seasoned beef stock. Top it off with fresh garlic croutons and melted, bubbly Gruyere cheese and you have a rich soup, indeed. Add a small salad and a glass of wine to make it a meal. Found this recipe at About.com by Rebecca Franklin, posting for safe keeping as I love onion soup and for ZWT (French).
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs yellow onions, peeled, halved, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 10 cups beef stock (use good-quality)
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
Croutons and Cheese Topping
- 12 slices baguette (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese (or Swiss)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and oil together. Add the onion slices, sugar, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes. The onions will turn medium golden brown. Add the flour to the onions and stir it through, allowing it to cook for about 90 seconds.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the beef broth and wine. Bring the soup to a quick simmer, and then reduce the heat to low and continue simmering it, covered, for 30 minutes.
- To make the croutons, broil the bread slices on low for about 3 minutes on each side. Don’t allow the bread to brown yet, just dry it out enough to give the surface a rough texture. Rub the dried bread on both sides with the cut side of the raw garlic clove, and then brush evenly with the oil. Return the bread to the broiler and toast it for 2 minutes on each side, until it turns golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F Place the ovenproof soup crocks on a baking sheet for safety and easy handling. Ladle the onion soup into the crocks and place 2 croutons onto the surface of the soup in each bowl. Divide the cheese between the bowls, evenly sprinkling it on top of the croutons. Bake the soup, on the baking sheet, for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese becomes hot, slightly browned, and bubbly. Serve hot.
I used 2 large spanish onion and 1 small regular onion. I sliced them in my food processor. I used sodium-free fat-free beef stock. Reduced-fat swiss cheese on top. Yummy! Great recipe :) Thanks Diner :) made for gimme 5 tag game
Made it for Please Review My Recipe and I loved it! Didn't have any white wine but was great even without. I also liked the addition of garlic on the croutons. Thank you for a great recipe!
mmmmmm.... great soup! The weather has turned a little colder here the last few days and this sounded like a great fit. I made as directed and loved it. So simple and so tasty. I made the full batch and put the leftovers in the freezer for another night. Thanks diner. Made for Photo Tag.