1/2 Photos of Gratineed Macaroni and Cheese With Tomatoes
My favorite macaroni and cheese but I love thyme!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, plus more
- butter, for dish
- 1 1/4 cups baguette, torn into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 ounces tomatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2Cook pasta until just beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes (it will not be fully cooked).
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 4Drain and rinse macaroni.
- 5Butter a 9 X 13 inch pan or 3 quart casserole; set aside.
- 6Melt 2 tablespoons butter, and pour over bread in a medium bowl; add 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and toss.
- 7Heat milk in a sauce pan over medium heat until warm.
- 8Heat remaining 5 tablespoons of butter in a high sided skillet or a pot over medium heat until foaming.
- 9Add flour, cook, whisking 1 minute.
- 10Whisk in warm milk a little at a time.
- 11Cook, whisking constantly, until bubbling and thickened, 8-10 minutes.
- 12Remove milk mixture from heat.
- 13Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 2 teaspoons thyme, nutmeg, and cheese to pan; stir until cheese is melted.
- 14Stir pasta and tomatoes into cheese sauce.
- 15Pour into buttered dish; sprinkle with bread topping.
- 16Bake until bubbly and golden, about 30 minutes.
- 17Let cool slightly before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gratineed Macaroni and Cheese With Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (444 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 970.8
- Calories from Fat 396
- Total Fat 44.0 g
- Saturated Fat 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 129.5 mg
- Sodium 1372.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 41.0 g