Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a wonderful egg casserole. The ingredients can be prepared the night before and then quickly assembled and baked in the morning. Serve with a fresh fruit salad or side salad and croissants for a special brunch.Originally from a December 1980 issue of Bon Apetit that featured a Kitchen Brunch Buffet.
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (or use hot sausage)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Prheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Generously grease a large ovenproof skillet or large shallow baking dish; set aside.
- Crumble sausage into skillet and fry over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sausage is no longer pink.
- Drain well and transfer to large bowl.
- Wipe out skillet;add butter and melt over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions and saute until onion is soft but not brown.
- Stir into sausage.
- Blend in remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Turn into prepared dish.
- Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.