This is a recipe I found in the March, 2001 Collector's Edition of Gourmet Magazine, the Paris issue. This is a one dish meal that looks intriguing to me, however I have not as yet prepared it. I hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken thighs or 2 lbs chicken drumsticks (or both)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf (not California)
- 4 carrots, cut diagonally into 1 inch-thick slices
- 2 cups frozen small whole onions, thawed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb small boiling potato, peeled and halved (1 1/2-inch)
- 2/3 cup creme fraiche
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 cup coarsely grated gruyere
- 1 small square cheesecloth
- 1Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat butter in a 12-inch ovenproof deep heavy sauté pan over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then brown chicken all over, in batches if necessary, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3Transfer to a plate and cover.
- 4Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
- 5Tie parsley, thyme, and bay leaf in cheesecloth to make a bouquet garni, then add to pan with carrots and onions, stirring to coat with fat.
- 6Add wine and deglaze by boiling over high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- 7Add broth and chicken, skin sides up, with any juices from plate, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- 8Add potatoes and salt and pepper to taste and simmer, covered, until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 9Preheat broiler.
- 10Discard bouquet garni.
- 11Stir in crème fraîche, peas, and salt and pepper to taste, then turn chicken in sauce to coat.
- 12Sprinkle dish all over with Gruyère and broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until browned and sauce is bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 13Makes 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gratineed Chicken in Cream Sauce (Poulet a la Fermiere)
Serving Size: 1 (673 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 975.2
- Calories from Fat 554
- Total Fat 61.6 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 282.9 mg
- Sodium 403.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 54.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: