Recipe by Bev
Recipe by Julia Child
Top Review by Akikobay
This is a great way to make scallops. It's very quick, very easy, and tastes heavenly. I was concerned that the scallops would become overcooked, so I was careful not to overcook them during the sautee stage. When they were just cooked, I removed them from the pan to let the sauce thicken. I made two mistakes with this recipe. First, I halved it thinking it would be too much for two of us, and second, I fed a taste to the kids. Everybody loved it and we didn't have near enough. Next time I'll double the recipe! Thanks for posting this!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sea scallops, cut into slices ¼ inch thick
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour, for dredging
- 1⁄4 cup clarified butter or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups ripe tomatoes, peeled,seeded,juiced and diced or 2 1⁄2 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes, drained,seeded and diced
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Dry scallops and spread on a piece of wax paper.
- Toss with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- The moment before sautéing, toss them in flour, turn them into a sieve and shake off the excess.
- Set a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat.
- Add clarified butter or oil; when hot, add scallops.
- Just as the scallops begin to brown, about 1 minute, toss with shallots and garlic, then add tomatoes and wine.
- Boil over high heat for a moment, tossing and folding until the juices have thickened enough to enrobe the scallops; fold in parsley.
- Taste and correct the seasoning.
- (If there seems to be too much liquid, transfer the scallops and tomatoes with a slotted spoon to the baking dish and boil the liquid until thickened. Pour over the scallops and continue.) Turn the scallops into shells or a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bread crumbs, and drizzle with butter or oil.
- Heat slowly under a hot broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, only until bubbling and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.