1 hr 20 mins
This is the ultimate in meat-and-potatoes comfort food. Don't even look at the nutritional information if you're dieting! While I didn't have the source written down, I'm pretty sure that this comes straight from Julia. Nobody could combine potatoes, cheese, and butter like her. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- 2Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick.
- 3Place in basin of cold water, and drain when ready to use.
- 4Rub the baking dish (10X2) with the cut garlic.
- 5Smear the inside of the dish with 1 Tablespoon of the butter.
- 6Drain the potatoes and dry them in a towel.
- 7Spread half of them in the bottom of the dish.
- 8Divide over them half the salt, pepper, cheese and butter.
- 9Arrange the remaining potatoes over the first layer and season them.
- 10Spread on the rest of the cheese and divide the butter over it.
- 11Pour on the boiling stock, and set in upper third of preheated oven.
- 12Bake for 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stock has been absorbed, and top is nicely browned.
- 13Let sit at least 5-10 minutes before serving, as stock will still absorb slightly, and dish will thicken.
- 14Goes very well with roast beef, pork, lamb, steaks or chops.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gratin Savoyard ( Scalloped Potatoes with Meat Stock and Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.9
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 47.0 mg
- Sodium 484.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 8.0 g