Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 10 mins
Expecting a bumper crop this year.
Make and share this Gratin of Summer Squash recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs squash (half yellow and half green zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green part only, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- Using a food processor fitted with shredder blade, shred the yellow squash and green zucchini.
- Place in a colander and add salt, mixing until well distributed; place colander over a bowl and let drain for 15-30 minutes, capturing the juices in the bowl.
- Wrap the shredded squash/zucchini in a clean dish towel and wring over the bowl to collect any additional juices; set the juices aside and dry the squash well with a dry towel.
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil; add in the rice, adjust the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes; drain and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In an 11-inch ovenproof pan or skillet over med-high heat, warm 3 tablespoons oil; add in leeks and saute until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the squash/zucchini; saute until almost tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and parsley; saute for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the half-and-half and the squash liquid; return to medium heat and continue to cook, stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add in rice and all but 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese; mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper; sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake until browned and bubbling and the rice has absorbed the liquid, about 25 minutes; serve immediately.