2 hrs 30 mins
A good gratin should be cooked for a long period of time at a low temperature. This will leave the potatoes as soft as butter while allowing them to hold their shape. This dish actually improves when made in advance and reheated. By Heston Blumenthal
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 110C/225°F.
- 2Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the herbs and crushed garlic. On a medium heat, bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat and leave to cool so that the milk infuses with the herbs and garlic. Once infused, strain to remove the herbs and pour the milk back into a large heavy-bottomed pan.
- 4Slice the potatoes as thinly as possible. Add them to the milk, separating them as much as possible, and place the pan on a medium heat. Bring the liquid to a simmer, stirring occasionally to stop them from sticking. After a few minutes, when the milk has thickened, add the cream and butter and gently agitate the pan so that everything is mixed inches.
- 5Add the salt, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Be careful - cayenne pepper is strong stuff. This gratin will take more salt than expected, as the potatoes absorb quite a lot.
- 6Pour the potatoes into a baking dish at least 5cm/2 inches deep and measuring about 25 x 15cm/10 x 6 inches, trying to get them as flat as possible. The potatoes should be covered by about ½cm of liquid. A little less is fine, but if there is more liquid than that, do not add it. Tightly cover the dish with kitchen foil and bake in the oven for 4 hours. Every 45 minutes or so, gently press down on the potatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
- 7Just before serving, flash the dish under a hot grill to gratinate it.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gratin of Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 567.4
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 119.9 mg
- Sodium 76.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 9.7 g