Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled,sliced about 1/4 inch,crosswise
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled,minced
- 1 bay leaf
- nutmeg (a few scrapings)
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, except the cheese.
- Place potato mixture in an oven going casserole, top with cheese and bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour- until slightly browned and very bubbly.
So I left the butter out (simply error, not some health thing), but it still turned out great. I had to throw in some buttermilk because I ran out of regular and I think the tanginess actually improved the dish. Thanks!
I was a bit skeptical of a potato casserole recipe with milk that did not call for making a white sauce with flour first (or adding a can of cream soup), but I was optimistic of the idea of being able to skip that part. Unfortunately, this was a letdown. I followed the directions to a tee, and the final result was much like curdled greasy milk and potatoes with a thick skin on top. This should be renamed to "Curds and Whey Potatoes," so that people aren't misled into thinking that these are real potatoes au gratin! I'm terribly sorry to be so negative, I wish that there were a redeeming quality to this dish, other than that the nutmeg was a good idea.
Tasty potato dish, I didnt use quite as much milk because my 2 large potatoes didnt look quite large enough for that amount of milk..sure were yum though. =)