Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Always look for the smallest Brussels Sprouts you can find. They should be no larger than the tip of your thumb, firm and tightly closed. I hope you enjoy this recipe from Everybody Eats Well in Belgium Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs Brussels sprouts, small
- 3 ounces thick slab bacon, sliced into 1/2 x 1/4 inch strips
- freshly ground blackk pepper
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons grated gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Lightly butter a medium sized gratin dish.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the cream over medium heat until it is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Trim the base of the sprouts, discard the tough outer leaves, and rinse well.
- Place the sprouts ina medium-sized saucepan with salt and cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 1 minute.
- Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Saute the bacon in a small skillet until lightly brouwned, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels then coarsely chop.
- Combine the sprouts and bacon in the buttered gratin dish and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the cream over the top and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake until nicely browned and crispy on top, about 15 minutes.
superb idea for a superb vegetable thank you bev
Loved it! I absolutely love sprouts and this came out perfect. I made 1/2 recipe because it was just me and I was experimenting, but I had some great baby sprouts tender and perfect. Not a thing to change other than I should of made the full amount. My oven was 425, but mine can have a tendency to run hot, so I was cautious. I did steam mine sprouts, but did the cold water bath, same end result. I just always steam mine in a saute pan with a small amount of water, just enough to create a steam. Didn't change the outcome at all. Excellent!!, I will certainly make again.
Fabulous recipe! I had found some beautiful baby sprouts at the market this weekend and wanted to something different with them. I ususally just steam and butter. This recipe is outstanding, I made a total pig of myself and had about the half the recipe myself. Thanks so much Bev.