Recipe by Bev
Always look for the smallest Brussels Sprouts you can find. They should be no larger than the tip of your thumb, firm and tightly closed. I hope you enjoy this recipe from Everybody Eats Well in Belgium Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs Brussels sprouts, small
- 3 ounces thick slab bacon, sliced into 1/2 x 1/4 inch strips
- freshly ground blackk pepper
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons grated gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Lightly butter a medium sized gratin dish.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the cream over medium heat until it is reduced to 3/4 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Trim the base of the sprouts, discard the tough outer leaves, and rinse well.
- Place the sprouts ina medium-sized saucepan with salt and cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and continue boiling for 1 minute.
- Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Saute the bacon in a small skillet until lightly brouwned, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels then coarsely chop.
- Combine the sprouts and bacon in the buttered gratin dish and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the cream over the top and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake until nicely browned and crispy on top, about 15 minutes.